My albums of the year:
- Goat’s World Music (spotify). Daft costumes and songs with Goat in the title. I don’t think they intend themselves to be taken seriously, but it’s hard not to. Think acid soaked math rock; proper WTF, proper awesome
- Peter Broderick’s These Walls of Mine (spotify). Apparently this is a collection of “experimentations” but it sounds pretty darn complete to me… Glitchy, sparse, laid back and laid bare; I just love this album
- Golden Void’s Golden Void (grooveshark). Almost a Black Sabbath tribute album, but original enough to be much more than that. Gloriously heavy heavy psych
- Breton’s Other People’s Problems (spotify). I couldn’t stop listening to this for months. Like a South London LCD Soundsystem or Alt-J’s ASBO-toting cousin. Disaffected and dark, but pop music all the same
- Heavy Electrics (spotify). I might be on my own with this one. Driving, pulsing, krautrock designed to be played far too loud in seedy basement bars in Bladerunner’s Los Angeles.
Yet again I stumbled across a bunch of albums from previous years that I’d managed to miss, so special mention has to go to Citay, Yellow Moon Band and Tweak Bird (you might sense a theme among them…)
Like the last couple of years I’ve also done a month by month breakdown of what I listened to the most (as compared to what I liked the most). In a “measured life” kind of way I also started creating spotify playlists of every album that I enjoyed in each month. These are intended for my own (imagined) enjoyment in my (imagined) dotage, but they’re linked to too, in case you’re interested:
- January: Wolf People – still going strong from last year and I got to see them live in January as well
- February: Mystery Bon Iver album
- March: Cloud Nothings (in which I discover an entire genre of music I had previously ignored)
- April: New Sleepy Sun; no Rachel Fannan, so missing something, but still rather good
- May: Breton!
- June: Heady Fwends – the Erykah Badu track is particularly special (despite the later fallings out)
- July: Oh look – Citay. Only about 3 years too late
- August: New Yeasayer! Not ODD BLOOD, but still…
- September: Alt-J! Despite a vague sense of being had over by the man for liking it, it’s still a great album
- October: New Tame Impala! Including that song
- November: Goat!
- December: New Sufjan Stevens Christmas box set! All others pale into insignificance. (Also. It turns out I listen to a lot of Christmas music…)
For those who wish to run the same analysis of their own habits you can download the script from my github. As long as you have python installed it will work like so:
python fetcher.py username year
python fetcher.py offmessage 2012