We bought a squeezebox for the office a month ago. In so doing we took the music from being either my or Doug’s choice (we were the only two with speakers attached to our machines) to being anything anyone has brought in, democratically served up on a first come first served basis.
Things we’ve learned?
- It was a fantastic idea. For a rapidly growing company the music we play in the office has been culture forming, and democratising it was the best thing we could have done
- Man’o’war are shit
- The new UNKLE album is ace
- Pure Reason Revolution are amazing
- Switchfoot are hugely overrated
- Early Iron Maiden is better than I remember
- Lost Horizons by Lemon Jelly is really good
- Almost all post-rock is dreary poo, except one band, God Is An Astronaut, who are very good, but I can’t quite work out why.
- No-one in the office apart from me appreciates Talking Heads
- No-one in the office apart from me will own up to liking the Fields of the Nephilim, but they all nod along when they think no-one’s looking
If you are so inclined you can see what we’re listening to right now over at last.fm, where we scrobble as Isotoma.